I FELL OUT OF LOVE WITH FOOTBALL UNDER VAN GAAL - RAFAEL

Former Manchester United defender Rafael says he did not enjoy playing football during his time under Louis van Gaal.

The Brazilian full-back left Old Trafford for Lyon in a reported £2.5 million deal in August after failing to work his way into the Dutch coach’s preferred line-up.

Rafael, 25, made just 11 appearances for United last term and remains disappointed at how his seven-year spell in Manchester came to an end, despite finding regular football in Ligue 1.

“Consistency is everything in football. You get games, you feel better,” he said.

“You enjoy it more and your fitness is better. When you’ve not played for a long time it’s very hard for the player.


“When Van Gaal arrived I could see I wasn’t in the plan. When you’re a player you can feel it, you can see that.

“To be honest I didn’t really enjoy playing when Van Gaal was there.

“I like to enjoy myself, to try things and do stuff. Last year I wasn’t doing that.

“The 10 games I played I thought I played very well apart from Leicester [a 5-3 away defeat]. It’s hard to know.

“I had some choices to go in England, but in the end I wanted to try something different. It’s good to challenge yourself.”

Rafael admits he understands why Red Devils fans are calling for a more adventurous style than the possession based strategy Van Gaal currently uses.

“Everyone is different. Results matter so if they can win the league it will be a different story.

“I watch them play and I’ve heard some things as well... But it’s hard. Football is for the fans. They want to see good football.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mila Kunis Jokes About Adjusting to Her "Amazing" Big Boobs, Trains Baby Wyatt to Become a Chicago Bears Fan

2022 GRAMMYS RED CARPET

Netflix Pumps Brakes on Will Smith Action Film ‘Fast and Loose’