Saturday, 18 October 2014

Mourinho: Pushing Wenger would've landed me a stadium ban.

Jose Mourinho believes the Football Association's failure to punish Arsene Wenger for pushing him leaves them guilty of double standards and insists that if he had been the aggressor "it would have been a stadium ban".

Incensed by a challenge on Alexis Sanchez by Gary Cahill during Chelsea's 2-0 win over Arsenal earlier this month, Wenger ventured into Mourinho's technical area to protest and shoved the Portuguese away when told to leave.

After the match Mourinho played down the incident - for which Wenger has since apologised - but ahead of his side's Premier League clash with Crystal Palace on Saturday, the Chelsea boss could not help but wonder how the authorities would have reacted if he had brought about the altercation.

“I gave you my reaction after the match, saying nothing had happened," he told reporters. "The reaction from everyone else was saying nothing had happened.

“Am I surprised he wasn’t punished? I’m not surprised. I’m not surprised."

When asked if he thought he would have been sanctioned for pushing Wenger, Mourinho replied: “Charged? Charged? If it was me, it would have been a stadium ban!’’

Mourinho also expanded on his sarcastic response to being labelled a "disgrace" by Roy Keane, suggesting the Aston Villa and Republic of Ireland assistant's criticism might have been no more than a ploy to help boost sales of his new autobiography.

“I don’t know if he really feels it, or if he wants to sell books and needs my help for that,” he added, dryly. “But, to be fair, I know my nature, I know my intentions.

“From people like him and his boss [Paul Lambert], I think I have a lot to learn about how to behave and I appreciate the comment.’’

No comments:

Post a Comment